R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - JL Racing .12
Thread: JL Racing .12
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 03:27 PM
xspower
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by G87z
Any ideas on a leaking front bearing on my Red Dot EVO3? I noticed the front bearing was starting to leak after about the first quart of fuel. I have about 3/4 of a gallon through the motor now. I have changed the front bearing in the motor already and it has not stopped. I have read this thread from start to finish looking for some ideas. I sealed the carb where it enters the case. The carb is not leaking from any of the O-rings or where the metal is connected to the composite. My ehxuast manifold seal is in perfect working order. I have replaced the fuel tubing. I am 100% sure it is coming from the front bearing beacause it is slinging it all over the middle brace of my MTX-3. The leakage is pretty decent also. The bottom of the motors is also covered. I do not think the leaking is affecting the tune although I did have some issues with the tune this past weekend. Is there a fix to this problem or should I just junk the motor and replace it with a new one?

Thank you in advance!
I have said this in another post somewhere. The front bearing would not make a difference if there was a leak with the engine off or not. The .12 engines have a sealed bearing and the others do not. The engine when it runs spins the raceway fast enough to seal the engine with no leaks. So the only thing that happens is that when you use a fuel that has good lubrication it will tend to build up in the front there is no where for it to go. We use shielded bearings on all our team motors and there are no problems with them, Nor do the on road .21 engines come with sealed. These are really for keeping dirt out on on road situations. So if there is a tuning issue and the front and rear bearings are smooth then you need to look at the other parts of the engine because the front bearing leaking some oil out is not the cause of the problem.