R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - T.O.P. Racing "Scythe" 1/10 EP Touring Car
Old 07-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Nova F1 Racer
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
EJ, Had a hell ofa time getting it to track straight... The rear plates the hold the arms are off .5mm and that makes it 3 degrees toe-in on the left side.

Any one else have this problem?

I've ordered a new chassis from AMPdraw 3.5 mill chassis....
Originally Posted by sosidge
If you're plates are 0.5mm off then they must be incorrectly machined because I have just measured up a few of the plates (ie suspension blocks) that I have and they are all spot on.

This problem sounds a lot like the one that HB Cyclone drivers complain about. I think the closest thing to an answer and the one I am inclined to believe is that the HPI rear hub mouldings are slightly uneven.

I did a rough measurement of my car and there is a small difference left/right, with left having maybe 0.5deg more toe-in than right. I can kind of eyeball a difference in the hubs just by looking at the angle of them relative to the arm. Straight line running has never been an issue for me though. I run the softer "high traction" parts by the way.

I think the mouldings are as much luck of the draw as anything else, some people seem to have a big difference in rear toe, others (like me) very little. Maybe the problem is more pronounced on the carbon parts?

Now one solution doing the rounds in the Cyclone forum (I only occasionally look in there mind you) is to ream out the hub hinge pin hole a little, and put a small grub scew in the edge to take out the angle. Apparently this is the Hara mod. I don't know if that is true or not.

Or you may be able to source some aftermarket hubs that have a more precise dimension. I know that Jet and 3Racing make alloy rear hubs but can't comment on the accuracy of their geometry, might be worth a try.
I tried 2 different toe-in suspension mount but not screwed in.... I'll try all of them tonight....