R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - JL Racing .12
Thread: JL Racing .12
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 03:37 AM
xspower
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WatchOut
OK, did a little playing around and still no joy. I tried to richen the LSN to bring down the idle, but it just doesn't react as expected. If I try to set my idle screw for .5 to 1mm gap, it will just stall, no matter my LSN. I typically need to have about 2mm gap, maybe a little more to ensure that it doesn't die. I tried everything from 3 turns to 7 turns out. With that amount of idle gap, after a few hot laps, sometimes the idle will stay high. But it is inconsistent, sometimes it idles OK, sometimes it goes high, sometimes it goes low and dies. Seems sluggish on the bottom. Top end seems a little better but certainly not the monster that many others have reported. I'm able to get engine temps into the 220-230 range, but can't get higher because the performance is just not there.

I took the air filter off while running on the box to make sure the slide was operating normally and I noticed that there was a small amount of fuel splashing out of the carb throat. Don't know if that is normal because I never had to do that with my other engines . Didn't notice fuel on the exterior, but then I didn't look real hard either. The inconsistency is what is driving me nuts. Wish I had another carb that would fit, just to do a quick test. Not sure what to try next .
Did you do all that I said. Get the engine running the best it can on the top end then work with the bottom. Keep the engine running when running the engine on top till it leans out to make power then mess with the low speed. If you do both at the same time you will be doing this until you have no more hair.If you did follow it then yes look at the pipe as well. Carb leak teat is simple enough as well. You can leak it on the engine. Block the exhaust remove the header. remove the air filter and block. Install piece of fuel line and use light oil that will run around easy. Blow into the fuel inlet make sure the slide is open. run oil all over joints and seals look for bubbles. . One more thing to try which I do not think this is it. Your tank seal is ok right. If so this all tested ok. Just try a new pipe you may have a baffle that is coming apart like Doug said.