R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tekin R1 Pro for 4WD Offroad
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Key
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Yes facing it towards the front in your ZX5 keeps it away from getting heat from the motor. If the posts face the motor only about 30% of the posts will get air flow. Those solder posts are the "heatsink" for the R1. I know it won't look as cool, but the radiant heat between them is a lot.

I also recomend cutting out a slot in the body to allow cool air to flow onto the solder posts. The wires can also act as a heatsink of sorts but the benefit is minimal.

I'm working on a new wheeler and I'll posts pictures when I'm done with it. I've switched to Losi's and have a XXX4 to finish up.

On my previous car(Yokomo MR4bx) I had the esc on the opposite side of the chassis faced forward. I had fashioned small ducts that routed air right onto the solder posts. I used some scap lexan. I saw 1-2 led's cooler then without them.

Using 2 cap's can also help cool the unit. Since the current crop of wheeler encapsules the electronics in a cocoon of lexan and carbon fiber it's hard to manage heat. So try to manage airflow. You not only have to get cool air in,but warm air out.

I'll post pictures of my XXX4. I've been told that this car and body poses some "interesting" electronic issues.

Oh yeah, nice car too!
Thanks Randy appreciate the valuable input on this. Forget internal looks airflow is top priority for me too.

Can I just use one bigger cap instead of two small ones or am I good to go with two? If a big one would suffice what cap would you recommend?

Looking at my ZX-5 lid I also figured where the small intakes (holes) will go. One on the front left of the shell where the slight front/mid hump is located and the other is right on the top infront of the rear motor mount. As you had mentioned they will have holes on the opposite ends for warm air outtake.

BTW - the car drives as nice as it looks I would recommend looking into a ZX-5 SP or FS instead of a XXX4. The choice is like night and day

Last edited by Key; 02-16-2009 at 10:09 AM.