R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Lowering the weight of Touring Cars that use lipo
Old 07-22-2008, 11:47 AM
timmay70
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheCoolCanFanMan
Hi brit_bulldog
This again is my bug bind, like you say, youve built a lovely model car, only to have the HASSLE to add around 200 grams of UGLY weight over your car if you run Lipo.
Malc
Last I knew we raced real toy race cars, not miniature Bugattis, or Mercs. Look inside any of the DTM, V8 or Speed series cars. They aren't works of art, they are race cars. Go purchase an RC Barbie dream 'vette if you want pretty, or wall paper your lead weights with CF tape - hell you got weight to burn.

Cars need to be the same mass for a given voltage to race equally and competitively. Don't like it, though. This is racing, and all racing across the board (from horse racing to sled racing to all car racing) has weight minimums that must be met. Lipo cars are as competitive at the weight minimums as are Nimh. I don't believe in penalizing the people that can't make the jump. Nimh is not obsolete tech yet, the weight rules should stand until it is.

Chassis MFGs will reduce the mass of their components as soon as the weight limits are lowered. Speeds will be faster, components will still break just as easily. No gain.