R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Scottrik
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
A 12th car relies on the weight of the 4-cell pack to make it handle. If you go to LiPo and 380BL, the car's won't handle anything like as well. It will require a change of chassis design, a change of tyres, and the development of the 380 motor to get back to where we are today.

If you're worried about not getting Sub-C cells, you should also be worried about not getting the appropriate 380 motors - that's an even smaller market!!

The battery maintenance issue is now a red herring. EnerG cells are back where we used to be - charge, race, store, charge, race, store... - so the case for LiPo diminishes in 12th, especially as it doesn't suit the class for either weight or voltage. And LiPo is already a problem, with drivers over-charging to get more speed, turning packs into short-life specials. Once IFMAR allow LiPo, the battery wars will start and this gentle, lo-cost, long-life pack will get to be none of those things!!

I hope that LiPo never gets anywhere near 12th until the cells in development, that give us the voltage and weight we need, are available.
Quite a few pretty broad statements here. I take it you've tried this? I guess I'll find out for myself what "will" and what "won't". And with the proper motor power the fact the voltage is different is moot. I would be the last to propose running them together.

Oh, and if weight is the only problem, there's a cure for that. I've got enough lead flashing to double the weight of my entire 1/12 chassis, so if need be I can add weight where I want it. I'm just not a believer in "can't"--I think there are too many advantages to be had with lighter overall weight to not experiment a bit with it.

And as far as "overcharging"...there is already a rule in place to prevent that wit LiPos. You show up at the line with a battery showing 8.45v or more "you get to go home for the day, Mr. DQ". If a track is choosing not to enforce the rule (with a $2.99 on sale at Harbor Freight digital volt-ohm meter) that's not a problem with technology, that's a problem with people.