R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Scottrik
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
Is there a cheaper way to try trans am? I would like to try it but am not willing to fork out the at least $100 for body, tires, motor, rims, etc. for something I may not like.
The short answer would be "when have you EVER gotten to try a new class (with your own equipment) for anywhere NEARLY as low as a $100 investment?" I sure as hell can't think of where that might have been.

The more involved answer would be that there is no solution but to spend SOME money, how much depends on what you've already got. This class was really (originally) designed around what most racers had in their junk drawer.

You've GOT to have (or have access to) the proper wheels and tires, anything else and you STILL won't know whether you like it or not. You also need to come up with a compliant power package, though with the current 549 options available now you should be able to come up with something. If you've got NiMH batteries left, break 6-cells into 4-cell packs--this class is PERFECT for packs that have lost their "edge" for competitive 1/12 or TC racing. Surely you (or a buddy) have an old brushed speedo and a ROAR Stock motor sitting in a box somewhere?

The only area where I'd say there's some "wiggle room" for a new driver would be that, in our club at least, I'd allow someone to pull the wing off one of their TC bodies and see what they thought--for ONE race. It would look like ass out there, but the driving experience would be close enough as long as they're running a compliant power package and the correct wheels and tires. At least this sort of allowance saves you the $25 for a body up front.