R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 09:15 PM
chris moore
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by vafactor
one of the guys at our track who's particularly fond of lipos tried an unusual experiment in his genX this week that yielded really good results. He put a novak mongoose brushless system in his genX (this is the little brushless combo that's designed for 1/18th scale cars). to power this motor, he used an inexpensive 2cell 7.4V lipo from maxamps (which just happens to be about the same length as a 4cell NIMH pack is wide). It all fits just fine in the genX car and to our amazement, the car handled much like it did with a normal power package. His lap times were actually a tick quicker than what he was doing the previous week with the same car and a 13.5 normal brushless. And this was done with the mildest of the the available mongoose motors. The car was easily able to run for 8 minutes. So it would seem that it is in fact possible to make a lipo setup work in 12th with products that are currently available. Oh.....I forgot to mention that the car's something like 350 grams lighter than it was with a GTB speedo and a 13.5 motor. those of us who witnessed this experiment were amazed to see that it worked so well. But I've seen it with my own eyes and even driven the car for a few laps. It had good power and it drove much like my regular genX.

Interesting and brings up a couple of ?'s. I have'nt seen this system did he need some kind of adapter plate to mount the motor? And what size pinion does this motor use?

Chris