R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 4wd Buggy Brushed Motor Selection Help
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 11:10 AM
TexasPete
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
If your really looking to fly the 11t will do fine but from your description i figured you were learning to drive a track. Maybe build a small one. Thats gonna be alot of motor.

I have been to many trackas and going to another this weekend. I am using the new vortex 2008 7.5 race motor and it feels alittle slower or smoother then my peak 7.5. You don't need mega- motor to lay down fast laptimes. If anything it will promote overdriving the car which is pretty common for a first time 4wheeler. I tend to do it on occasion. It's a really fast pace race.
I am actually going to go with a 13 turn motor and a range of pinions. Once i learn to drive, if gearing doesnt get me to where i need to be competitively, Ill reinvest. This is the most cost effective solution for me for now.

Originally Posted by cjtamu
When you talk about Team Brood, Banzai, etc. you're usually talking about companies that wind their own arms and then install them into the manufacturers cans/endbells. I know Banzai makes Checkpoints 'cause I have a couple, don't know about Team Brood. The reason I prefer Checkpoint over v-brush (Orion, Peak, etc.) is that there are actual tabs to solder to and its easier to get a good joint.

You don't run more than 5-6 minutes b/c it will overheat a brushed motor. Esp in 4wd, the motors are working much harder. Every 5 runs or so pull it out of the car, uncap the brushes and springs and pull them out. Spray the motor and brushes clean with electric moto spray. Let it dry and relube with bearing oil (Trinity Royal oil or similar). If you don't have a comm lathe you'll need to get one eventually or find someone at the track that can do it for you. Figure every 20-25 runs or so you need to skim comm an dreplace brushes to keep good performance.

There's truth in what RBfive posted. Like my buddy Biff says, "Slow is fast". Drag races are won in the straights, offroad is won in the corners and rhythm sections. Practice learning to carry speed into the corners (while still holding your line) and getting on the throttle early on exit, and getting through the whoops smoothly and you'll go far. If you have a 2wd car somewhere, nothing teaches that like practicing 2wd Stock.

Edit: BTW, why is TexasPete in the ATL, LOL?
Thanks for the guidance...this electric stuff is complicated. Once you learn to tune a nitro motor its pretty much a wrap...with this electric stuff...sheesh. Im commited though, Nitro noise isn't welcome everywhere when you are trying to get some practice/bashing in.

TexasPete is from the great state of Texas and still considers it home but life is good in the ATL!!!! And more importantly TexasPete loves the hotsauce, hence the name! There are a few other reasons for the name choice but we wont go into those! hahahahahaaaa