R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 09:51 AM
egalsim
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I agree with many who have posted that all tracks running this class should strictly adhere to the rules. However, let's not be too harsh on any track that is trying to build back some local interest. If bending the rules a bit is getting more people to show up at a specific location, that is good for the hobby.

I would suggest though that you need someone at any track running this type of class to be the rules czar. It is their responsibility to guide, prod, push, or otherwise be a pain until all cars are running the rules of the USVTA class. At my local track I've taken on that role. I haven't turned any racers away because their car wasn't exactly in compliance. However, I will remind/bug/annoy any regular who isn't running per the rules - for example using a wing on a Mustang body.

If budgets are a concern at your local track, I can see cutting some guys a little slack for a few races until they can save their pennies. Get 'em hooked and then get them to stay in it the right way. But if your tracks doesn't abide by some form of rules this class you will lose racers because eventually someone is going to be faster who isn't legal and those who are will stop running.

As far as bodies goes, I have been taking the approach of could I have seen this paint scheme on this car in the 60's/70's? If it isn't a copy of a race team, could a privateer have taken his street car to the track and raced it? The point is to give this class a vintage feel as well as seeing cars that look like the are ready to race on an actual track. This is a big draw for a lot of the racers in this class. I can only speak for myself, but I've never been a big fan of a lot of the touring car/off-road paint schemes that you see.

I'll end by saying if it works locally and the racers at your track are having fun, that's great. But if you aren't following the rules as spelled out on the USVTA website, then you really aren't running the same thing as everyone else.
Thank you. I wish this type of rule and attitude was in force before the decline of the touring car class, especially with regard to wheels and body livery. We don't even have a tc class at my local track anymore because of lack of interest in "those weird looking cars".