R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Good 1/10 car/drifter
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Mooshu Beef
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey Coby,

There are lotsa threads about this, and every one is answered that there is no "best chassis". However, I believe there is a best chassis for everyone depending on their desires, likes and niches.

Indoor track? Like, foam? I dunno about drifting ABS on foam. Maybe carpet...

Anywho, quick run down:

TT-01: Many use this because it is cheaper to get into. Many also mod this like crazy, and get it to be a really great car. However if you are used to lots of adjustments like camber and toe, you're going to have to do some leg work yourself and find some parts.

HPI E10: People say this drifts "surprisingly well for the cost/looks" but I would stay away from this unless you are doing casual drifting. You will probably get frustrated trying to find precise parts for this chassis... I don't even know if they have aftermarket parts for this. The E10 is MADE for drifting, and you can switch around the motor to be mounted in the front for drifting, or the rear for touring, which is a nice touch. However, many still glance over this due to the "cheapness" that the kit has.

Sprint 2: Adjustable, belt, but I have a pro 2 (which I am selling--very similar to the spring 2) and I didn't like the fact that I couldn't put a heatsink on my motor. Don't let it deter you though, since the motor plate can be replaced with a heatsink style one that will draw away heat from your motor. Many use this for drifting... it's belt and a pretty sturdy chassis.

TA-05: This is one of the most popular cars to drift, and I am upgrading from a TT-01 myself to this. I found a good deal used. There are, I believe MORE extras in the aftermarket world for the 05 compared to the 01. There are over 5 different chassis conversions, one made by Square specifically for the drift scene.
-This is a mid motor mounted chassis, which attributes to the feeling of a balanced drift, so I've heard, Whereas, most chassis' have rear mounted motors.

Pro 4: This was a popular chassis for drifting, but was discontinued by HPI (go figure ). I don't know much about it, other than it comes already looking nice with carbon upper and lower decks. You'll have to get it used, but will probably be a very good price.

TC4/TC3: These Cars by Associated are, from what I've read, up there with the TA-05 and TT-01 in drifting popularity. These are all adjustable, have great parts support. Again, I don't know much about it, but I know it is popular for drifting, and many use it.

The only car I've owned from here was the TT-01, and Pro2 (similar to Sprint 2). These are my feelings:

TT-01: This was my first car. I drifted this first with 3 used 1500mAh packs and a Trinity Co-27 Pro stock motor. It was used, and came with Ball Bearings, metal motor mount adjustable turnbuckles...And that's it. I added: Alloy shaft, and got 20 and 21T pinion gears.

-This was a good car to start out with, because I had never been in 1:10 scale before. I thought this car was really fast, and had a lot of fun with it. The drifting wasn't really that great, because my gearing was way too low for 27T. I wasn't able to do much.

However, I was soon annoyed at how little the car could be adjusted. I am a kind of person that likes to see "what happens when I do this?" All I could do was adjust toe in the front...

Pro-2: This was my second chassis. It came with tons of extras as well as different springs, and spacers. I loved this chassis because the belt was so smooth, albeit older belts.

-I got to adjust camber, toe and such, but mainly played with spacers. I learned a lot about weight shift (which is important to drifting) with the different springs, and came up with a pretty decent setup.

HOWEVER my main problem was making sure that my Brushless motor didn't get too hot. I was running a 6900kV in an enclosed shell (The Rally RS4 is made for off roading, so they made a chassis shell). It got VERY hot, and I don't have a temp gun so I could not see if the motor was too hot. Also, the pulleys seemed to disintegrate with the brushless motor when I threw rubber tires on and ran off road. I replaced the pulley that was broken.

This was really long, but hopefully it helps your decision. Keep searching around for a drift car (you can buy my pro 2 ) and join the DRCC forums, and or GroovyDrift.com, and READ UP!

Good luck!