R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Camber? When to use and when not to use?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 08:03 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrobeast
The guys running rubber, can you really tell in just a few laps? Maybe i need a lesson on how to rear tires...
You might have noticed that rubber tyres when brand new have a seam around the middle of the tyre?

When my camber is set right, the shiny look of the new tyre will be scrubbed/rough for an even amount of distance either side of that seam. I also dont consider rubber tyres to be worn in until that seam is gone (before this the tyre is just rounded across the width and has less contact patch).

After one 5 min race with a brand new set of tyres, I get about 5mm of roughened tyre either side of this seam. On the front tyres I like the total width of the rough area on the tyre as central as possible. On the rear tyres I like to get say 3/4 of the wear on the inside of the tyre (closest to chassis) and 1/4 of the total wear on the outside of the tyre.

On carpet I can tell much easier if the camber is ok. When its off, the area of the tyre that doesnt scrub up seems to look polished (shinier than the new look of the tyre). If that polished area is on the outside, then I presume camber is too much. On asphalt I have noticed that the tyres wear quicker and after only a few laps you can start to see the tyre wear (and my experience shows that it wears a wider rough patch quicker).

I can only suggest that start with 2 degrees camber front and rear and do a few laps then see where that rough worn patch is situated and adjust camber as appropriate.

-Mark