R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Scottrik
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoTone
Can you recommend any Nicads for now.

Before you ask why Nicads, because I have chargers that only work with nicads.

This is just to get my foot back in the door with a reasonable budget
Keep in mind that by trying to go "extreme budget" now you are setting yourself up to spend money twice. If you haven't ordered your chassis yet I would STRONGLY advise picking up something less expensive used (even a T2 007) and spend the difference on decent equipment to fettle it with. Unless your last name is Baker or Blackstock you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two other than your wallet is heavier after you buy it. Hell, a TC5 (even a TC4 FT) you wouldn't be able to tell for the first year or more getting back into the game.

NiMH capable chargers are selling for pennies on the original dollar right now and would have you using batteries that are less fussy than NiCd's ever were (no memory, etc). Many (most?) LiPo chargers are able to charge NiMH (and even NiCd) batteries, so since you intend to go LiPo eventually you should look into one of those.

If you're dead set on NiCd...check Tower. They have several choices at decent prices. BUT, as I said, you'll have set yourself up to spend money twice and that's never a bargain.