R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 13.5 gearing
Thread: 13.5 gearing
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Grizzbob
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by not home
now i know nothing about gearing at all i have absolutly no clue about how to find the correct pinions for the motors. i currently have a 48 pitch 84t spur with a 25t pinion for my 27t. so what pinion size should i aim for. all the help is appreciated!
I'm also not sure what your outdrive ratio is(though it could be 2.25, the way to verify it is find out how many teeth you have on the diff pulleys & divide that by the number of teeth of the center pulley{which could be 36t diff pulley / 16t center, = 2.25}), but if what I mentioned is it, then you just take the number of spur teeth, divide it by the number of pinion teeth, & multiply it by the outdrive ratio. So say if you have a 72 tooth spur, if you use a 32 tooth pinion then you'll get a final drive ratio of about 5.06(72/32x2.25=5.06), & for some tracks that may get you in the ballpark....BTW, do you race at S & N's Trackside Hobbies? If so, then I'd gear taller than that, maybe try a final drive of about 4.6(that's around what I've run there for the Novak Race with a 13.5 motor)....

Last edited by Grizzbob; 07-12-2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: corrections