R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Droop Disagreement
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 11:45 AM
sosidge
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by THancock
I couldn't disagree more

When reducing front uptravel, under acceleration less weight travels rearwards which means weight remains on the front wheels of car, thus providing more grip at the front. Remember though, we're talking millimetres here, going from 3 on a droop block to 4 or 5 can make a big difference in handling.

I couldn't agree more. But who in their right mind runs touring cars with no uptravel or no droop screws. It would either be wildly oversteering into a corner and understeering out of a corner, or it would pirouette like it was on ice. I tend to run anything between 2mm and 6mm of uptravel depending on the level of grip available.
I do feel that you have contradicted yourself here, saying on the one hand that less droop increases grip and on the other hand that less droop decreases it.

I firmly believe that the phenomena of added grip that you are experiencing from your small adjustments are from something other than droop. Perhaps you are stopping the suspension from over extending and compromising the tyre contact patch. Droop adjustments alone will always tend to decrease grip as you approach the limit (which is the zero droop setting I mentioned).

But I don't want to get into a situation of argument and counter argument, if your way with droop "works" for you, go for it.