View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Scottrik
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
I think you used this word twice.

I had to look it up.

It's my word of the day and I'm going to try and use it five times today in various conversations!
Just be certain you use it correctly--we've all seen people who try to use "big" vocabulary inappropriately. There aren't many instances outside racing to use it, but within racing it is, arguably, the correct term.

GTO = Gran Tourismo Omologato (or thereabout). Italian for Grand Touring Homologated. All cars raced in the Trans Am were homologated with the FIA and the fee (like $40) paid for doing so. This process was how notchback Mustangs ended up in TA / A-Sedan while fastbacks were B-Production through 1968 as the fastbacks had already been homologated as 2-seaters via the GT350 and were, thus, ineligible for TA.

This is also how Herb Adams, et al, ended up building up his wife's '64 Tempest into the Old Grey Mare for the '71 TA season was that Pontiac HAD actually had the '64 Tempest homologated, thus the Pontiac GTO (a rebadged Tempest) really was homologated. THERE'S a little truth-in-advertising for you.