R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Barracuda from Alex racing
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Randy Caster
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally posted by Herminator
The shimming is quite simple, you need to get some Tamiya shims that will fit on the small bevel gears, same size as the bearings and 0.1mm thick. When you come to shim the diffs you work out how many they need and then fit them all in the one side so the diff gear is moved away from the small bevel gear, creating a loose mesh. Then you use the Tamiya shims to remove any play the small bevel gear has in the shaft holders, depending on which version of small gears you have will decide how many shims needed. You put them on before the bearings so the gear is actually pushed closer to the diff, and you'll probably need two shims to get the right fit. The newer gears seem to only need one, a slight design change at the factory, and aparently the old versions from the R1 need three shims.
This is all thanks to Dave, I'm still waiting on him to tell me what part number the Tamiya shims are though but I've been waiting on him to tell me other things for longer......
Actually Dave was using Kyosho shims, he posted the part # in the origional how-to post.