Tech Addict

Talking Race Report.

Race report.

Norwegian cup summer season, round 5.
Stock 27T & modified 12T.
Kodal 1:8 racetrack in Vestfold, Norway

Car: TC3 DEMON

Monster Stock geared at 6.43

Q1: A good run, made a few mistakes. Hooked a curb and ended up in the grass once but the turn marshal was right on it.
Q2: Changed from Sorex 32 to CS27 tires and LRP Asphalt traction compound. Bad choice, lousy grip. 5 sec down from Q1.
Q3: Radio problems, didn’t even get out of the start line up…

My time from Q1 was pretty good so I got 6th position in the starting grid (I had 14 laps 5.00.87, #5 had 14 laps 5.00.86…).

The track was heating up quite a bit now so I decided to try Sorex 36. I also wasn’t satisfied with the power in the Monster Stock motor so I rebuilt one of my Peak Hellfire motors with Putnam blue and green brushes.

Peak Hellfire geared at 6.00

F1: Good clean start. On the 3rd lap I was slowly passing number 4 on the outside in the long sweeper after the straight. Suddenly we bumped in to each other and spun out a little, nothing spectacular. We were both on the right course in a second. I felt that something had happened to the car and yes, in the next corner I spun out, bad! Game over. The main drive shaft (carbon) had snapped. I have never snapped one before. I suspect that it could be material fatigue, it was 1,5 year old.

F2: Sorex 36 didn’t work too well so I decided to try the CS27’s again but without traction compound, some of the other drivers had good success with these tires in F1. They did not work for me this time either… Now the car was pulling to the left quite badly and I was not concentrating and made some mistakes. Ended 6th. The steel drive axle on the left front had been bent in the incident in F1 so this caused the pulling to the left. Switched to alu bones. Switched back to the Sorex 32’s

F3: clean but slow start, dropped to 9th through the first few turns. Car was working perfect now so I started to climb in the field. After 3,5 minutes I was in 3rd position. I could have tried to catch up with number two, but he had a quite big gap and my tires were starting to fade. So I decided to back off a little and just make sure that the car on 4th didn’t catch up. I ended 3rd.

Ended 5th in total.

Wrap up: Bad luck in F1 also resulting in problems in F2 wasn’t fun but hey, that’s racing!
I did well in F3 and in total I had a lot of fun, that’s what’s counts in my book!
One thing is for sure, I have never been as fast as I am now, and I like to believe that the DEMON conversion have contributed to this.

I’ll post my set-up once I have put it down. The car was easy to drive and suits a medium bumpy, low grip asphalt track made for 1:8 nitro cars (large)

I have a few pictures of the car but I don’t know how to post them (I need a URL referring to the picture right?). I don’t have a website and I only have Internet access at work so I cant have stuff on the computer that is not work related.
Is there some kind of free private picture database around where I can upload pictures to? (Wow, suddenly I felt really old!!!)

PS. if this is too much, please let me know! I tend to write novels...

Last edited by OleC; 08-04-2003 at 04:46 AM.