R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR Nats gripe
Thread: ROAR Nats gripe
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 09:56 PM
RocketRob40
Suspended

Originally Posted by CarCrazy
I do have one minor gripe and I'm wondering if others felt similar.

After the first day of qualifying ROAR decided not to re-sort the faster drivers into heats together for the 2nd day of qualifying. So here was my problem, I had Mike Truhe (who took first in this race) in my qual heat, and every 3 minutes the announcer was calling my name to let me know Mike was on me again. As I struggled with keeping my car under control, and while being constantly reminded to watch out, I bobbled in front of him and slowed him down twice! Actually Truhe didn't slow me down, but the announcer calling me out to move caused me at least 3 mistakes across 4 qualifiers. If ROAR would have sorted the fast with the fast, and the clubers with the clubers, we wouldn't have had those issues. I know its a minor thing, but It really made me nervous to potentially be "the one" that takes out the TQ run accidentally. I just wish they would have sorted us so we could have two good runs with our own class of drivers.

I did have fun and Mike Truhe won so no harm done.

This happened at a club race once, and I ended up getting mad enough to tell the announcer "next time dont tell me about the leader because I dont give a F***"! Now we wouldn't want that would we???!
This flustered me when I was a newbie too, especially trying to hold it together at my first big race, but I soon got over it when I had a salty old racer suggest to me that "instead of griping about the announcer calling my name to yield, or worse yet have a fellow driver call me out for being a hazard, that I drive with my eyes open and actually pay attention to others around me on the track and MOVE OVER when faster cars are approaching!"
I got the message, and got faster because of it, because suddenly I was able to avoid wrecks I previously run into - because I was driving wide-eyed and more aware of my surroundings instead of staring intently at just my car.
And now I find it particularly aggrevating to have a car I'm trying to lap (especially for the second or third time) weave back and forth, or outright block me, whether it be on purpose or not instead of moving over for a second or two and being courteous enough and being a good sportsman enough to let me by.

~ that's my 2-cents worth anyway