R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tekin RS ESC sensored
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 10:03 AM
or8ital
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Can the Speedpassion ESC's have its firmware updated?

I don't know the exact details, but I think the challenge is that if you use USB (probably best for firmware updates), then a handheld box wouldn't work without a USB BUS, which is non-trivial. If you make the ESC just serial (for flipping bits) you could use a box, but might lose the option for firmware updates (Speedpassion?). Perhaps you could add both interfaces? I wonder if that's what Losi did, 'cause their setup appears to allow both a programming box or a full USB setup w/firmware updates. My hardware-fu is a little weak.

Anyway, based on my understanding of USB programming, it would probably be pretty easy to sniff the USB in windows to see what the software is doing, and then implement that in some other OS. The firmware update probably just sends a start bit, dumps the image data, and then a stop bit. Presumably, the ESC would validate the image before flashing. But, that's all guesswork on my part, based on how I've seen other devices work. If my life ever slows down a bit, I may tear into it and try reversing the protocol for fun.
The new verson of the speedpassion can but via a computer. I was referring to on-site track adjustments one would make. seems pointless to require a computer to change timing.