R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks
Old 06-09-2008, 05:03 PM
C5Vette
Tech Apprentice

John,

An addition to your comments about tube connectors. If you solder them on the pack like the attached photo, they fit very nicely and allow you to move the pack in any of the positions on the tray without obstruction. I would suggest using the opposite side from the speed control for easier access.

Thanks for the words about tire size. I am running on carpet and expect size to play a bigger role than on asphalt. Traction rolling is an issue even with touring car at our track. It's a fine line to find between having enough grip and too much grip...(ie traction rolling)

Originally Posted by John Stranahan
Note there is some new text in red in my previous post.

Rick Thanks. I'll give those blues a good test.

CRC Gen X 10 Battery Trays

One area of the Gen X 10 that received extensive effort is the battery compartment. I have to say they have done an excellent job here. It is much improved over the old Pantoura.

The batterries are intended to be bottom loaded. The tray has four steel screws that go into the steel inserts pressed into a small strap of graphite. See the first photo. This is a well engineered setup.

I installed a 4 cell pack with my preferred type of Dean Half Plug connectors attached to short leads and it fit very snug and was easy to install. The top plate has curves and contours that will let it clear several type of connectors but probably not tube connectors soldered to the side of a NiMH pack. The pack may or may not slide into place from the bottom with tube connectors soldered on. If you do manage to get it in, you may have to Dremmel a clearance cut for the rear most connector. I personally don't like tube connectors as they get loose and eventually start popping out in a crash or even a hard bump.

The second pic shows a four cell pack installed. I'll tell you that I would prefer a LiPo these days. I would install the 4 cell pack toward the back with a more powerful motor and maybe one cell forward if you are running a 17.5 and have enough forward traction.

The last picture shows the large LiPo tray that should hold any of the Brick LiPo packs that are available. Notice that my FMA pack is oversize (a little long). I think I could easily modify the tray by removing the upward protruding battery stops to hold even my oversize pack. After taping in LiPos in a variety of Configurations into the original Pantoura, I am very happy to see this progress in holding the battery. And like Frank said "I did not want to cram 4-cell down anyones throat." I heartily agree.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0367.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	343700   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0368.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	343701