R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mugen MTX-3
Thread: Mugen MTX-3
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2003, 01:56 AM
Corse-R
Tech Elite

Default Re: tires choice

Originally posted by B
what hardness foam tires are people using when they have the 16/19T conversion?

but i heard that when using the conversion, the rear tire's diameter has to be 3 mm bigger than the front

so can this tire combination work? because if the rear is softer, would it wear faster and can no longer be used due to the 16/19T conversion?
Uhm. Tyre hardness shouldn't be mandated by the type of pulleys/belts you've installed on your car, should be mandated by your track conditions and your particular setup.

Yep, front tyres should be 3mm smaller diameter than the rears, many here (Manti, Stefan and others) found that 3mm is the way to go with this alternate set of pulleys.

Regarding running softer rears, cannot tell you anything, still on mine car haven't used a softer rear than a front. Found it that I'm using 40's or harders everyday (doesn't matter if is Summer, Spring or Winter).

16/19 pulleys make their work because rear tyres have more meat thus having more tyre to wear, your rear end will go down at almost (or at the same) pace that fronts. Car handling changes a little (to better for everyone that tested it).