R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Resurgance of electric racing.....
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Randy_Pike
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Electric will slowly come back in time. The technology has finally caught up and has the runtime and power without the maintenance, something nitro has had for some time over electric. Now you can run your 2wd buggy with a 13.5 and a lipo for 45 minutes.

I think that the mains should be extended to 10 or 15 minutes in brushless. The cars and powertrain are capable and it's time to take advantage of it. Nitro cars are harder for the average person to get started in as most fear of blowing up there new toy.

We run 10 minute mains at my local track and it's a blast. No longer is electric a 5 minute sprint where a single mistake can cost you the race. It adds strategy back into racing. Remember when we had to GEAR our cars to make the 4 minute main!?!? I do. You could have a really fast car but dnf simply because you blew your battery out. This is where Nitro again has had electric covered. Pit strategy, tire strategy, driving strategy.

Bring electric back where it belongs, in the front. Simple changes will effect the hobby subtly and will be easy on the everyone. Make the rules easy to understand and enforce them. Look to real racing for model ideas.

Keep using spec tires, handout motors, and make the racing about being the fastest driver with the best skills not just the one with the most $$ and support.