R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Resurgance of electric racing.....
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 03:24 PM
jiml
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well okay let's get back to Dawn's question.

Thanks to LiPo and Brushless there has been a bump in electric racing, both on and off road. Brushless motors have taken away the "motor tuner" advantage, and LiPo's don't die from not being used like the current NiMh cells. My fear is (and I've already heard this) that racers will figure out stuff they can do with brushless motors and even the LiPo batteries that will make them more expensive, and render their advantage moot.

But it was a small bump, and it's already beginning to recede. In on road, touring cars are way too expensive, and if you live where outdoor racing is seasonal, you need 2 cars, one for carpet, one for outdoor.

Off road electric has been losing favor to the nitro cars for some time. Electric off road requires very subtle driving techniques, where in nitro most are only worried about getting the most air.

Somewhere along the way, we forgot that we're supposed to be doing this for fun. Too many people are worried about winning the A, getting a sponsorship and going to the big races. When you get that competitive, you turn a lot of people off. And with all the other distractions out there, it's far easier to sell all your stuff and do something else.

My 2 suggestions for electric touring car:

1. BAN FOAM TIRES. That eliminates the need for a thick chassis carpet car. Sorry Tim.

2. Ban the use of graphite. Carbon fibre composites are light and strong, but are also very expensive.

Bodies are another thing that can bring back the fun, but that's another whole thread.