R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mugen MBX5R
Thread: Mugen MBX5R
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 01:52 AM
slow coach
Tech Addict

I only grease the outdrives as in the manual. If i grease the outdrive, o-ring and shim will it stop this leak? it will help

From my point it looks like it leaking from the o-ring but i remember Tony saying a lot of people think that where its leaking when actually its coming from the gasket. that is also the case but it does look like you are the other end

Would a over fill be the cause? I only fill to the joint where the two spider gears cross over but its hard to judge with thick oil taking long to settle.
Can you guys give me all the tips for stopping the leaks.. overfilling will force the excess silicone oil out somewhere just go level with the cross pins then turn the gears a bit to help it fill all the holes let it settle then top up if needed

Sand the diff cups
Longer screws
single gasket or double if you sand the diff cups
Grease outdrive, o-ring, shim with Mugen super grease

anything else?

As for the shims, where exactly do you use them? between the bearing and the end of the outdrive? like in the manual. so you are opening the unsealed ring and pinion gear is that correct? yes thats it slide them over the outdrive so they are flush with the bearing

Do you use any shims to tighten/loosen the gear set inside the diff? thats where i have some play back and forth. no but by doubling gaskets you will free these gears up as well

forgot to mention you can get slightly bigger S5 o rings 5x1.5mm instead of the kit 5x1mm this will give a tighter seal between the oring and outdrives at the expense of drag of course but they do work

Last edited by slow coach; 06-04-2008 at 05:32 AM.