R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Evolution Raceway
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 07:07 PM
chensleyrc1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I agree Greg, I was just answering Kevins question as to why we are closed. And it is because we lost over half of the original TC guys to off-road. Even in the winter, if it wasn't for the strong oval turnout all winter I probaly would have closed before Christmas. When I first did the carpet we had 20+ racers every week for on-road, second and third season we had 6. You should know, you were there the first season. That was the most fun and competition I have ever seen in the STL area for TC and 1/12th scale then. The only racers that stuck around from then were Drew, Billy, Nate, Larry, Ron, and Todd. Steve K would come when he could, but not many others. I was starting to think everyone was upset with me or something. Or maybe I should of showered more. If we maintained the turnout, the potential new racers we had come in to check us out on road course days may have tried it, but when they show up with only 2 heats of 3 running it really doesen't look good. Where as if you go to an off-road track and there is 60-100+ racers there it makes you want to be part of that scene. Heck I even thought about racing off-road again, then I gathered my senses. Evolution is suffering the same way. When people do show to check the racing out they don't see the turnout, and you don't want to dump money into a new car that you might not get to run in a year. So for a safe bet, people get into off-road, it looks alot more reliable to be around year to year. The biggest thing I noticed when running my track was perception from the potential racer, that is why my oval classes did so well. They came in, seen the crowd and wanted to race. I started with 5 racers in the Slider class, by the end of the season I had 20-30. But I also had 15-20 pan cars racing, made for a nice full house! And alot of fun!!