R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - How to earn a sponsorship?
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Syber Serulean
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
I was working 50-60 hour weeks while going to school full time. It can be done...
some people can do it, some people cant. You cant assume everyone can work 50-60 hours a week and attend school full time. I know my limits and i know i cant do that.

Originally Posted by billjacobs
Decisions, decisions. What's more important, racing toy cars and working extra hours to support toy car racing, or studying. I think the best thing to do is quit school so you can focus on racing, get really good, and then get that full sponsorship.

Depending on how much racing fees are, I am honestly not sure how much you would save volunteering at the track, versus working those same hours elsewhere. If racing fees are $15 a night, and you race 2x week, then you need $30 a week covered. Since you are in a low tax bracket (working part-time), you would have to work about 4 hours (making $10 an hour.)

At 21, do yourself a favor and focus on your studies. When you graduate and get a well paying job, the $30 a week won't be a concern.

Just my .02 cents.
I dont need your .02 cents. Dont take guesses at what my schedule/pay/race times are, thats off to the wrong tangent. I race maybe once a week, sometimes once every 2 weeks and sometimes a few weekends in a row (due to the JBRL). Guessing i need $30 a week and say i only need 4 hours of work is dumb. I eat, i commute to school, i drive to work, i go out with friends sometimes. You didnt even factor in whether or not i have bills or things like that. Good job. I know that $30 a week wont be an issue several years from now but thats the future, not now obviously. I spend enough time at school, probably 2-3 times more hours than i put in at work so tell me, really, what does it sound like my focus is? Racing is my weekend thing to get away from the stresses of school, and sometime im really really into apart from that.

Originally Posted by overflow
Dude, Help Charlie out and setup the track and tear down. he will notice and help you out on the race fee.
Ima ask about that thanks

Originally Posted by overflow
I would ask your self too... are you ready for a sponsor? If you’re looking for a product sponsor could you relate proper feedback on what the product is doing? If someone came up to you and asked a question about a problem they were having with the product you run, could you give them the right advice?

Maybe I am wrong, I don’t have a sponsorship. But if I were running a company and had people running my products, this is what I would expect out of them.
nah definately if im using it, i'll know everything about it. Im a stickler for details of absolutely everything i can take in, either if im using it or even just have an interest in it.

Josh, i think you'd have a good chance.