R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - BMI's DB12R
Thread: BMI's DB12R
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 11:50 AM
InspGadgt
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Scottrik
More room for adjustment, no doubt. I would argue, however, that "like for like" the motor stays pretty close to the same position relative to the axle as to compensate for the smaller spur you are installing a similarly larger pinion to get the same rollout. Overall, since we're finding what had been heretofore considered ENORMOUS rollouts to be the new reality for bl racing I'd say the motor is finding its way further from the axle if anything.

Of course some engineer-type (or Michael) may come on and blow me out of the water on this one...
To keep the same gear ratio or roll out when going to a smaller spur you need to go to a smaller pinion as well which will move the motor back toward the axle. If your running say a 100 spur with a 25 pinion to keep the same roll out with an 88 spur you'd have to run a 22 pinion given the same sized tires in both. But if your comparing brushed to brushless then yeah the motor might stay in relatively the same place because they run such different roll outs.