R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2003, 09:08 AM
Herminator
Tech Elite

Default Re: Getting my R2

Originally posted by johnny55
OK guys I got the money together and Im going to Speedtech to pick up my R2 Monday. Ill probebly get the blue kit along with a set of blue aluminum screws, what hop ups or aftermarket parts should I get? Im a socal racer just in case you guys wanna help me with setup parts. Thanks!
Well I have a strong opinion on Aluminium screws, they are a pile of junk IMO, and only for show cars that sit on the shelf collecting dust. If you want rid of the kit philips head screws, which is a good idea, get some hex head titanium screws or stainless steel screws. Or if you can wait try getting the torx head titanium screw kit that Alex Racing does. I have always ended up putting 2mm hex head titanium screws on my kits, they save weight and are still strong enough to avoid stripping, aluminium is too soft, especially for underneath the of the chassis.
While you're there get the alloy shaft holders, they'll save a lot of spur gears. You won't need a huge amount of spares but get some bevel gears and suspension components just in case. Get rear hubs, the kit items have a lot of rear toe, great for indoors wooden floors but they scrub a bit of speed on high grip surfaces and you'll strugle to get the back end to rotate around corners (not sure how to put that) Steve will give good advice.