R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New technology and club racing- has it thinned out classes?
Old 05-19-2008, 02:21 AM
tc3team
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by pgeldz
Man, this really is a great thread!

While I know what you are saying about spec classes, there is also another side of it...

Some folks just love to race...or better put, love a good race. I know I have way more fun battling for a midplace finish jockying for position with several rivals, then to just have better equipment and run away from everyone for the win. You'd like to think that whatever position you ended up in was based on merit, and not because you had deep pockets.

I really think spec classes can be great fun. Here in Okinawa Japan, we have a few different forums to race. One particular track has 4 classes that race on the same day, once a month.

I participate in 2 of them...the 23T class, and the Tamiya class. You can run whatever you want in the 23T class (using a brushed 23T motor of course), but the Tamiya class is pretty strict. Even though the 23T class is much faster than the Tamiya class, the RACING IS WAY MORE FUN in the Tamiya class, which is what got me started in the first place...having fun.

That's not to say that a spec class is without fault either. Since most spec classes are based on DRIVING ABILITY, it's very possible you may have the same winners each race, and that gets old real quick. Kinda like when Michael Schumacher would win damn near every F1 race...it came to a point for me that I had no interest in watching. I knew he would win, and since the media only focuses on the top runners, you'd never get to see the REAL racing going on midway through the pack. Big turn off for me.

So I guess what I'm trying to say in a nutshell, is that spec racing has its place. One thing I've always thought with spec racing is that if you find yourself struggling to be a front runner, it strives you to be A BETTER DRIVER. With the other classes, it strives you want better equipment.

- Paulie
First of all, thanks

I am a firm believer of having fun when racing, whatever the kind of day im having... I am also a firm believer of showing my competitive side.

How others will percieve that though remains to be seen. And THATS a problem some cannot overcome when they get beaten Some people will just in general, be an (insert what you choose, im sure we get the jist).

The negative vibes some people will put out at a race track though... c'mon...

Maybe I have touched the wrong side of topic about spec classes. They CAN and HAVE worked very well. But they will only strive in a correct infrastructure.

But on a similar, but kinda different path, practically being told (not in words, but in attitude) to race brushless because youre still using a brushed motor and the club wants to allow the newcomer to use these... well, thats a bit wrong.

Sponsored or unsponsored, people will race within their budget. If a club wants to keep their racers coming back they will need to understand that not everyone has silver,or gold lined pockets LOL.