R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ta04r...
Thread: Ta04r...
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2003, 02:42 PM
sosidge
Tech Elite

Just built a TA04S today, got it cheap with the intention of selling it on new built.

My comments from the build are...

1. Slop and precision are much better than other Tamiya kits I've built and messed with in the past.
2. The way the wishbone mounts are held with one screw makes it hard to get them true and play-free.
3. The top deck didn't want to just drop into place, which was disappointing, but once I'd lined it up with the aid of the screws it all seems straight and strong.
4. The anti-wear grease seems to add a lot of resistance to the drivetrain and suspension movement.
5. The car is way over-engineered, and drivetrain maintenance looks like being a real pain because every part seems to be double up then captured by the chassis lower deck. Suppose they are tough though because I've seen them punished at club races.

Any comments on this?

Also, I'm considering giving it a run at my local track before selling it. My usual car is a Yoke SD, so obviously the Tamiya would seem to be a big step down - but I'm not totally happy with the Yoke's handling. Basically, I need a lot of steering - will this TA04S have that? Part of me thinks that the rearwards weight distribution and the large amount of caster will work against me.

Should I get the electronics in there, or would it be a waste of time?