R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Red Dot Motors- Superfast Silver Cans!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 04:42 AM
rccardr
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Red Dot Motors- Superfast Silver Cans!!!

Red Dot motors are new 540J (Johnson) motors tuned for racing applications. I've been racing R/C for 2 decades (including over 30 TCS events) and figured out some of the secrets of these silver cans years ago. For several years I just tuned motors for myself and friends, and sold a few to racers against whom I wasn't going to be competing. We won a lot of races. But now I'm older, my reaction times and vision are fading, and frankly even the fastest motor isn't going to help me out a whole lot.

So I decided last year that it would be entertaining to spread the power around to some discriminating racers who appreciate how difficult it is to make these little demons fast (really fast), know how to maintain them, and are willing to make the investment in order to win. I went out and bought a bunch of specialized equipment and a couple cases of motors (most of which got ruined and were trashed) and went to work. The result: some really fast closed endbell motors that are as fast - or faster- as anything you'll see in the US and Canada.

My Mini and F103GT motors typically pull around 15,500 to 16,500 rpm at five volts vs. 10,800 to 12,000 for one out of the box that has been broken in correctly. GT3/Spec motors pull a little lower RPM but have higher torque to deal with the heavier car. Make sure you let me know which class you will be using them for so that you get the right motors. Each motor is engraved with a unique number (so I can keep track of it while it's going through the tuning process and the buyer can tell it apart from other motors) and has a red dot painted on the positive side of the can so you know where to solder the positive lead. Hence the name.

I'm continually discovering new minor performance improvements, all of which are incorporated as running changes to the production line. That means that when you buy a Red Dot motor, you can be confident that 1) it's been tuned using the very latest in silver can upgrade methodology, and 2) everyone gets an equal opportunity to purchase a motor capable of winning at the very highest level of closed endbell competition. If you don’t overheat the motor, it will be really strong for about 10-12 runs before it starts to fall off. It will still be a very good practice motor, but heat eventually kills the magnets’ ability to hold gauss, and there’s just no way to get that back.

For anyone who's interested, the latest batch of Red Dot motors is done and ready to ship. If you're running at the Union City TCS race and need a fast silver can for your mini, GT3 or F103GT, give me a shout. We had Red Dots in every A Main at Memphis including TQ in Mini and a win in F103GT (OK, that was me, so maybe that one's not such a big deal ). Thus far in Tamiya’s 2008 TCS series, my motors have made every A Main in every silver can class, have TQ’d four times and have been on the podium at least eight times. So, they work well.

This batch includes a couple of motors that fit the Canadian rules for amp draw at 2 volts (one of my Canadian customers placed on the podium at last week's TCS regional, so these also work well for the Canadian TCS series)

Red Dot motors are $45 each plus shipping ($7.30 for one or two, $10.40 for three or four in the USA, international shipping is extra, ask for a price quote), and I prefer PayPal. My PayPal ID is [email protected].

Best way to reach me is through e-mail at [email protected]