R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Core RC 5000mah Lipos...
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 09:16 AM
nemix
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by dbmartin
I need some help, this is what my core pack looks like. I have only ran it two weekends, and I only run it once a month, I put it on the charger about a week ago just to put some juice in it. I looked at it today and this is what it looks like . I am worried about the thing blowing up. Also worried that $120 is down the drain. I charged it like normal, I have an Ice charge set for 5 amps. Any help would be appreciated. I also need to get my bottom weight off, any suggestions?
you dont need to worry about it 'blowing up'. Lipos wont explode like a sub c pack. Instead they puff and sometimes puncture causing a chemical fire. They flame up, as some people call it.

so you put it on the charger, walked away, came back and it was puffed?

or you charged it, it looked fine, and then not connected to a charger or anything, just sitting it puffed?

I've never heard of the latter. For a lipo to puff, i think voltage has to be entering or leaving the battery. were you running it on a esc with the correct voltage cut off? You sure you had your ice setting to 5000mah? If you didnt have the mah set correctly and overcharged it that will happen.

Needless to say, the battery is toast, and should be discarded. Pry off your weight you have stuck to it, and dispose of it appropriately. If you are worried you could soak it in saltwater for a few hours before handling.