R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Enduro Racing "Le Mans" Style. NOT for the weak of heart
Old 05-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Boosted561
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Rather than focus on the negative as some like to do, here are some positives that we learned at the last 4-hour enduro we ran at the Tamiya R&D track in California. Note that the three drivers on our team were all "unsponsored" drivers. We supplied our own cars, equipment and tires and we had a blast doing it. Tearing the front corner off the car three laps in was not our plan but we awere able to replace the corner quickly and drove back up to finish fourth at the end with 833 laps completed. The top three teams did not have any mechanical repairs during the race and the 1st and 2nd place teams finished on the same lap just 6 seconds apart !

As a series, difficult to do. You use up a lot of car parts running a car hard for four hours straight. I replaced most of the drive train components and chassis on my TA05 after it was all over but that was also due to running a mod class motor.

There was just one "open class". Most drivers ran LIPO's and brushless. Motors were more to what the team could handle. We ran a 6.5 Novak system.

Tires and bodies - unless you are getting reduced prices and support from the "spec" tire and body required that you can pass on to the racers, don't make entrants have to use one brand. You can specify certain types of bodies and no dish rims but let people run what they want or have. For your Porsche class as an examlpe, in addition to HPI, Tamiya made a 911 GT-3 body from a TL-01 kit and just released another 911 GT-3 body on a TT-01 kit.

Turn marshalling - each team was required to supply there own marshalls. Seemed tough seeing a person just stand next to a car that was turtled but if a team does not want to get friends to help with the marshalling, that is their decision and their fate.

Good luck on your race plans !
Kevin, thanks for the information. I've made changes based off of your reccommendations. It's great to get info from guys that have run these races before to determine reasonable guidelines to follow.

I believe you're correct that it would be tough to make this a series. Maybe this will serve better as a seasonal event. Maybe a spring opener and a fall finale.