R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2003, 03:29 PM
John Robb
Tech Initiate

Default Getting started

Hello everyone,

I'm new to 1/12 scale and would appreciate some advice. I've learned some already just by reading this post. I've built a 12L3 which is mostly stock (added inline front axles and alum. servo mounts). I'm ready to go, but need some guidance regarding gearing and ride height. Specifically, are there certain advantages to using a certain spur size? Do I need several spur gears and related pinions, or one spur and a few pinion gears? I printed out the rollout conversion that was posted here several pages back, so that will help. I spoke to a guy that runs at Mimi's in Maryland, and he said that rollout for stock should be around 48. I have a set of full TRC foams (purple and grey) and running a Monster stock motor. I know that rear ride height is adjustable by way of kit inserts, but it appears that the only way to adjust the front is by adding more spacers.

Mike D. - I especially invite your input because I know that you
know Mimi's very well, race 1/12, and have probably had a 12L3 along the way. Also, Mike does it help the performance of your Keyence to add their motor capacitors or are the ones that come premounted sufficient.

Thanks,
John