R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Lap Timing Systems
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Trips
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seaball
like kevin indicated, it doesn't even sound like a hardware issue.
If the existing hardware can actually support multiple loops then it wouldn't be a hardware issue. I haven't looked at a recent AMB box, but way back in the day there were only input jacks for one loop. I know it might be possible to attach three different loops to the same inputs and alter the software to count every third hit as a lap, but I've race directed often enough to see the havoc that false hits can cause with our current one-loop setup... yes, most race software allows a minimum time setting to help prevent fale counts, but I've seen it happen that a car crosses for a lap, gets stuck, waits for a marshal, then passeds near enough the loop on the infield to count another lap... with three loops on the same input, I think you'd be looking at all sorts of headaches. I'd think a separate input for each loop would be the way to go.

As far as software, it would only be a matter of downloading a patch, but if the hardware needs to be changed to accept multiple loops then it would require replacement or refurbishment.