R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 01:49 PM
TryHard
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRFwhitey
bboy, make your life more simple and just try one of the setups posted on tryhards site. You will only have to make minor adjustments to suit your track or driving style.

jontang001, its an adjustment not too many people play with. I have tried alot of different shock adjustments at many different tracks. The effect of rebound directly impacts the way the car handles bumps and negotiates quick switchbacks(aka shicanes). I have found the more rebound i use, makes the car more responsive/aggresive but can handle bumpy tracks much better, less rebound the opposite is true. The reason why rebound works best for bumps is rebound keeps the tire in contact with the track after you hit a bump, the longer you car stays in contact with the track the more stable it is. As for shicanes your car needs to change directions quickly, so with alot of rebound your car will be able to transfer the weight L/R quicker with assitance from the rebound. For me i almost always run full rebound just because i like a responsive car and if there is any inperfections in the track my car will keeps its composure. Hope this was not to confusing!
Cheers for that explanation Corey, makes a lot of sense. If you consider that the European TRF team have been running 2mm or so of rebound on carpet tracks with rubbers, they can afford to give up a lot of the bump stabillity (you would hope a carpet track doesn't have bumps ), but use a little rebound to help with direction change.
Outdoors I tend to find it's more about responsiveness, so then move to more rebound.

Cheers
Ed