R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Understeer
Thread: Understeer
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2003, 08:16 PM
Im2lazy
Tech Master

While the way in which me43 is telling you how to adjust droop is the standard for droop adjustment... I absolutely hate it.

Uptravel is a much more easily understood and more precisely measured adjustment. It does the exact same thing, but takes into account factors that are not of any concern with a droop gauge (very bad part of droop gauges IMO) such as shock length and inconsistent parts height (by that I mean parts marred by crashes and shaved by flexible rims). You can set a car to have ___ amount of droop, but once you put the shocks on, it is possible that the length of the shock will not allow for the amount of droop you wished to have, and if you do not measure up-travel, you will never know why you're car acts so strangely.

Here is how to measure up-travel... and since you have a hudy setup system and a ride height gauge (that I take for granted here), you just measure the difference in height between ride height and full extension.

An example taken from my car:

My rear ride height is 5.5 mm. I want the car to have 1.5 mm of uptravel so 5.5 + 1.5 = 7mm at full extension. However, with tires, it can be tricky if you use rubber tires or un-trued foams so I suggest you adjust ride height normally (pressing down on the car so it bottoms out, which sets the car. Then you take the ride height reading). Then you put on the setup system. You put it on the flat board as you usually do, and measure the distance from the chassis to the board. You take that number and add 1.5 mm (I.E. 7.5 mm + 1.5mm = 9 mm) so you now want to lift the rear of the chassis and see where it is at full extension. Adjust the droop screws until the both rear setup gauge lifts up at 9.1 mm and exactly the same time.

That was very long, but the reason I went over it is that there is a possibility you will want 1.5 mm of uptravel, but no matter how far you screw out the droop screws, you can't achieve it. There could be several reasons and the most common is too short of a shock length. Thread out the lower eyelet and measure again until you achieve the desired uptravel.