R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - speedmerchant speed spec II
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Pro ten Holland

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET
well all the other 1/10 onroads have a thread so lets do one for the speedmerchant speed spec II. who has these cars? post your setups.

i'm in the process of building one for outdoor asphalt, anyone have setup tips? i'm looking for setup info like what front springs, shock spring, tweak springs, shock oil, rear axle height adjusters, tire compounds and diameters, etc...

from what i found in the other threads of this type, most cars are using pink or double pink tires on all for corners. tire diameters from 2.100" f/r for smooth and 2.281" f/r for bumpy tracks.
I don't have a speed spec myself but here's some general advice on asphalt pancar running:

For Tires:
Pinks can be seen as "soft" compound, double pink can be seen as "medium".
I don't know if there any tires with the kit, but if there are, run them down first.

As a starting setup, go for what's in the manual.
Make sure everything is straight and even left to right.
Here's some setup basics:
Start with the tires on the size they come out of the box.
Speedmerchant, as any other manufacturer, puts in a lot of effort to make a stock setup that works on most tracks and surfaces.

A ride height of 5mm front and rear is usually a good starting point on asphalt.
Apply traction compound (I use Jack the Gripper - doesn't smell) to the full rolling surface of the rear tire and only a very small section of the inside of the front tire.
Let the traction compound sit for at least 15 minutes. Wipe the tires clean with paper towels or an old rag before running.
take it easy on the first few laps as the excess traction compound will have to come off.

Try your car in stock trim, run it a few times and then:

If you car understeers, apply traction compound to a larger surface on the front tire.
If you car oversteers, apply less or no traction compound to the front tire.
If the car still oversteers, use less dual rate on your transmitter.

Some important tips:
- swap the left and right tires at least every other run so they wear down at the same pace.
- Check your ride height every other run and adjust according to tire wear so your chassis stays level and the car remains around 4-5mm ride height.

Let us know how it goes!