R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Pro racers and their Radio/Frequency Choice
Old 04-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Dave H
Tech Champion

I had the same question. At the carpet nats last year I asked some of the top 12th scale guys that I have known for 15+ years, including a previous nats champ that made both A mains he entered. The answer was it's not broken, they have a LOT of track time invested with what they have. Right or wrong, they are used to it, comfortable, and it works. Just like nimh batteries and brushed motors, the fast guys don't appear to embrace change very quickly as long as they are still winning.

But I'm pretty sure it will change with time, even though I agree from a purely theoretical view that analog should be at least capable of being faster, as no switching speed or processing is involved. I have the privilege of watching the "Prince of RC", Dakotah Phend, on a near weekly basis. This young multi time national champ has reflexes that are simply incredible. Maybe not as smooth yet as some of the more experienced drivers, but again his reflexes are unbelievable, as good of a real world test of radio speed, including that he's on sliding around on dirt, as I have ever seen. More than I could imagine even. He tried a DX3R on one ride, and has been using it on everything that I can tell ever since. It is an absolute blast to watch his car wiggle around, and mostly stay right on line while doing it. So I would suggest the radio is not holding him, or certainly any of us, back at all.

By the way, he is also a great person, as are both of his parents.

Last edited by Dave H; 04-28-2008 at 11:47 AM.