R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 09:44 PM
trailranger
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trips
I pretty much agree with everything you said except this. Rather than use the servo speed feature in the transmitter, I'll try and be as smooth as I can with the steering wheel. That way, all the speed I paid for will be there when I need it, like to make a quick correction or avoidance move.
I take it you also bought into the 2ms latency for Digital Spread Spectrum radios?

Your brain takes about .10 to .20 seconds to see, process and physicall react to the situation.

The same thing also happens to you car. Inertia creates a lag in the car, it is very possible for motors and servos to react faster or more forcefully than how the car can handle at that instant but can handle the same forces later..
Pulling the trigger to break traction vs. easing on the throttle to get the car to squat and hold traction is evidence of that physical lag in inertia. The same can happen with steering. The wheels can be fully turned before the car begins to fully load that outside tire and thus it will never get fully loaded. It will just be scubbing like a snowplow and not turning well.

Being a smooth driver is always best, but I like to let the radio make me better.