Thread: On-Road classes
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Pauly6401
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aERonAUtical96 View Post
No on the Utica... from East Central Florida, Melbourne area. I enjoy the warmth to much to move north

There, unfortunately, aren't any local tracks. I have to travel up to Daytona or over to Orlando so it's difficult to just head to the track. I was just trying to find information more for my own knowledge. I've seen a lot of posts on the different classes, but really havent' seen the definition of the classes. Picked up a custom/older car at a garage sale and am trying to determine what class it would potentially run in.

Didn't think about the generator. Hmm another usage of the hurricane generator

Thanks for the responses.

Hey! I live in Melbourne too, and just got back into RC after a long hiatus. I've gone to two races in Orlando at Superior Hobbies and raced my Losi XXX-S in the Sportsman class there. Maybe we could carpool sometime...

FYI, there may be some racing starting up at the Cinemaworld on US 192. The guy that used to run races at Andretti's Thrill Park works at the HobbyTown there now and they are trying to get him to start up races again on the weekends. There's also an off-road course being built down in Palm Bay, and hopefully that will be up and running in the next couple of months.

To answer your questions - as far as onroad goes here in Central FL you'll see Touring car and oval. Touring car is a full suspension, 4WD class that's the most popular around here. The cars are driven with belts or shafts to provide power to all the wheels. In Orlando you can start out in the Sportsman class, which is for stock motors (brushed, 27 turn) and non-LiPo batteries. Then they have various classes for faster motors (Stock is stock brushed motors or 17.5 brushless, super stock is 19 turn brushed or 13.5 brushless, and so on).

Pan cars are simpler, with 2WD in the rear and less complex suspension. They are usually only 1/12, but 1/10 pan cars (Pro 10) are making a comeback. I haven't seen any classes for that around here. You'll see a lot of those in carpet, indoor racing because you want a nice, smooth surface.

Oval cars are like pan cars but with the batteries and things mounted so they can just turn left, like in NASCAR. I'm sure there's some subtleties there that I don't know about but I've never really dealt with them.

That's the primer, and I may have used some terms that don't mean anything to you. I'm not an expert by any means, but I'll explain what I can. If you want any more info, just PM me.