R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Pro racers and their Radio/Frequency Choice
Old 04-27-2008, 06:20 PM
G87z
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phixd
With the arrival and claims of new 2.4 systems, I see top level racers such as Adam Drake.... and others whose names I don't know running on 27mhz or 75mhz FM.

With them being pro drivers, what are the advantages of staying on this frequency band?

2.4ghz systems 'claim' to be faster, glitch free, etc. To me it makes sense to be on 2.4 ghz, but I see otherwise on top level racing. Specifically at the JBRL series, I saw lots of long extended antennas on the expert class drivers stand as opposed to the 2.4 nubby antennas.

Thats a great question. I was wondering the same thing. I was in the market for a new radio, but then i noticed top level drivers still using the 75 MHZ radios. I currently have a futaba 3PDF. I know old skool right? its FM thought 75 MHZ. Is there really any huge benifit to upgrade to one of the 2.4 GHZ systems? I am by far no Pro and even though I love the sport of 1/10th onroad touring I do not need the top of the line gear to compete and have fun in my neck of the woods in South Jersey. So any insight on this would be awesome.