Thread: Serpent 705
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2003, 11:14 PM
InitialD
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by markp27
I like to make sure you don't forget which camera you have

The circuit where I drive is in the middle of a forest and miles away from any houses, so noise isn't an issue - it just has to be loud and sound nice
Cool. Should be a nice track. Ummm, now that I remember, I thought you posted a link once with some pics of your local track.

'm going to have to look at tuning my engine this weekend, as I have starting problems once the engine get warm/hot. I have to let it cool down before I'm able to start it again. This would be the low needle being to lean?
Depends... I would think on your track, you're mostly on full throttle right? If that's the case, then the high end needle is suspect as this would be the one controlling the engine temperature most of the time since the carb is open near 100% most of the time. If you're using 0 to 50% throttle, then I would say richen the low end needle to reduce the temp.

How many turns are the needles currently at? If you still cannot get the needles right, I would suggest turning out the HSN 4 turn out and the LSN also at 4 turns out with the brass needle flat towards against the carb body. Make sure you keep a record of your old needle settings. Also, open the sponge filter and look at the carb slide opening at neutral. The opening should not be more than 1 mm wide. Tune the engine from there. Before you do it, make sure also that the car is warmed up nicely for about two to three tanks to get the temperatures stabilised.

Tune the HSN first and then the LSN. It may be difficult at first to get the engine running because of the rich low end. You can compensate this by opening the idel needle a little to get a higher engine idle. The engine high end RPM at WOT should be able to reach it's peak easily. If it does not, continue to lean the HSN (clockwise turns) at 1/12 turns at a time. At the same time, check to see if smoke comes out of the pipe. More smoke, then the better it is. If you have a temperature sensor or a temp gun, check the temperature to see that it does not go beyond 120 degree C. This may be a conservative temperature but it sure helps you get the engine started back if it dies. Else, use the spit method. Then just remind me not to get your engine If fuel spits out from the pipe, your HSN is still rich.

Once the HSN is set, lean out the LSN also in 1/12 turns at a time till the engine is able to rev cleanly and easily from neutral. At the same time, watch for smoke and monitor the engine temp.

Test the car out on the tracks, if the temp goes up, richen the HSN slightly about 1/8 of a turn.

You can also use the glow plug method to check if your engine is running rich or lean. Got to www.parisracing.com for more information.

I also had some problems with the mixture being to lean whilst running on the circuit, i.e. misfiring - but this I cured by richening the mixture.
At which point were you misfiring? Which needle did you richen? If on the back straights the engine misfires, not enough fuel is going in and signs that the HSN is lean. It could also mean that your plug is nearing toast.