R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Slapmaster6000
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Hey gang,
I am considering cutting some upper and lower rear pod plates to be able to move a brushless motor over the 3.5mm needed to weight balance the rear pod correctly. With todays "large wheel" tires on the market, the off sets that they have, it would seem that we could take advantage and move the motor plate over. The disadvantage would be that you will only be able to run wheels that have a 2.75mm off set or greater such as Parma & Jaco. The CRC's have a 1.4mm off set which is not enough to correctly get 86mm to center (half of 172mm for max width). Another disadvantage would be you would not be able to narrow up the rear track width if you use it for tuning. I have made up a set of custom rear pod plates and a shortened right diff hub and have run it in the past. It works as expected and the left rear tire wear matched the right. Diff hubs are not easy to make at my end, but IRS and CRC spit them out all day long. So what do you guys think about this? Painted into a corner with limited tire manufacture selection? Or very cool, why didn't we do this sooner?

Brian