R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Coliseum at HobbyTown USA
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 03:58 AM
komkit
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I am not really sure what VTA was designed for. Perhaps like you said, it was created to be a cheap, low cost to operate and a friendly class for a new comers or drivers who just got started in the hobby.

Think outside of the box for a moment, let take the car, radio gears out of the equation. For the new comers to get starts.

$35.00 for 1 27T stock motor
$165.00 for Brushed only ESC
$120.00 for 3 of the 4 cell packs
$45.00 for a cheapo analog discharger/equalizer tray.
$155.00 for LRP charger

It come to $520, it doesn’t even include the motor Lathes and other accessories for the motor and batteries.

Now for the BL/Li-Po to get started you’ll need.

$90.00 for 21.5 BL motor
$199.00 for Brushed/BL ESC
$85 for Li-Po pack, you only need one to practice and race.
$135.00 AC/DC Li-Po charger

It comes to $510. It clearly cheaper to get starts with the BL/Li-Po combo then the brushed and SUB-C.

Most of the new comers when they hear about low maintenance of the BL/Li-Po VS Brushed and SUB-C, most likely they will buy in to the BL/Li-Po combo. Ask yourself as if you were new to the hobby the same question and see what you think.

Opening another motor and battery option will bring more people in to the other aspect of an R/C car racing.

For existing driver like myself I’m only out $90.00 for the 21.5 motor and $40.00 for a set of the VTA tires since I am sharing the same car chassis and the Li-Po battery. Now that is cheap and that is why I decided to get into this VTA class just to hang out and fun racing with a bunch of friends (Although I don’t have many LOL).

I’m not sure why when you get more people into the class/hobby will destroy the class/hobby. I have always hear people are saying the more the merrier.

Beside for the past 40 some years I have not found any hobby that I enjoy and cheap yet. I’m out $130.00 to get started in VTA class it is cheap compare to get starts with the brushed/sub-C combo.

Seeing a grown men crying – that’s priceless