R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Multiple Noob Questions - Getting old car back up and running
Old 04-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Sneevly
Tech Rookie

Default Multiple Noob Questions - Getting old car back up and running

I have a variety of questions that I would like answered, and this seemed to be the best spot to start. The story here is my brother built my XXX-T about 3 or some years ago, raced it about 2 times and quit. I'm starting back up now, and he's not too willing to help out any more. I noticed there are some problems with the car.

1. Any thing past 20 feet, the cars throttle skips in and out while going full throttle, as if the reception was going out. Wildly turns around 60 feet.

2. Full throttle from a standstill, and any time there is heavy resistance to the back tires such as rough terrain causes the back end to make a screeching sound, and I've got the slip clutch just about as tight as it goes.

I think number one is just due to old crystals. Should I honestly go out and buy a whole new set of radio equipment, or is this a cheap and easily diagnosed problem where I can just buy new crystals? My controller says "74 75.670Mhz", and it's one of the yellow band ones. I've been told by one of the the hobby stores that they are old, and they stopped selling those.

Oh yea, and what's up with that capacitor crap that you solder onto the motor? Could that just be my problem? Not having those?

With the screeching, can that be caused by dirt and what not, or am I honestly stripping the crap out of the gears in the back end? I've tightened and loosened my slip clutch all around the place, it has 0 effect on it.