R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - battery life
Thread: battery life
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 03:20 PM
foolio
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spud143
hey everyone I'm new to rc I recently got a rustler I was just wondering what is normal for runtime on batteries I've got a couple 3800 mah and anyone that knows the run time there getting on different batteries I would like to hear what your getting and the mah and brand of the batteries because I am looking at getting more .....
This is a tough question for anyone to answer. It all depends on your motor and what your battery is rated for. In general,

1. the higher the mah, the longer the runtime.
2. the lower you charge at in amps, the longer the runtime. However, you might not get that last 5% of speed and it will take longer to charge
3. Brushless motors will increase runtime significantly if compared to a comparable output brushed motor
4. Faster motor = less runtime, slower motor = more runtime

Of course there may be a few exceptions to the above, but most of the time those rules will hold.

For example, if you have 3800mah batteries and charge at 5 amps, run a brushed stock motor, you might get 15-20 minutes of runtime. With a brushless stock motor, you might get 20-25 minutes. Those are just guesses since I don't know your equipment.

Lastly, if you want longer runtime, get higher mah batteries and a brushless motor. Keep in mind that if you are running brushed motors, longer runtime is not necessarily good. You don't want to overheat the motor; so keep an eye on temps.