R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 960....
Thread: Serpent 960....
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 08:00 AM
nigelnuggets
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by going4#1
I got my kit last week (thanks Kamikaze!!) and I've been spending time on the weekend throwing it together. Not finished but it's getting there as I finished off the suspension tonight.

Some mixed feelings on the kit:

Pros:
Definitely improvements on the design side. No more 3 pivot balls for the rear uprights, front anti-roll bar on the inside of the bearing blocks, variable front uprights to change handling (brilliant!), RCC shocks, new shock springs, better clutch plate to help keep out dirt, thicker rear shock tower, and plastics seem extra tough!. Included options are nice. Lightened front quick change levers, alu mid bearing block, 1-piece engine mount, newer chassis design. I think you are getting a good deal on what you pay. The setup book is also fantastic. All model companies should offer one.

Cons
Kit construction seems a bit weak. No missing parts but the kit seems to have been sourced from about 50 different suppliers and seems thrown together in a sort of last minute sort of way.

A lot of metal parts are covered with some sort of grease that needs to be washed/polished off. Compared to some makers (e.g. XRay) you need to do more work to get the kit assembled correctly. Quick assembly not really possible with this kit. My opinion is this kit is for the advanced modeler.

Some parts were real problems. Some screws had heads almost impossible to fit a screw driver into. Using a retainer ring for the 51T rear gear mounted to the rear axle is a real pain. I don't want to but a tool for one job. Why is the front antiroll bar adjustable with a flathead and not a hex driver? The phillips + allen combo of screws is frustrating enough.

The manual was great when the 960 came out but it's time to offer improvements. Don't be like Kyosho and Mugen with the same style and spare explanations. XRay gets it as their manual is really good. Serpent can do the same or better. Lots of white space left for tips. Wish Serpent would change their mind on including part numbers in the manual too. With e-manuals on-line getting a new one out to existing customers would be easy.

Hope others can offer comments on the new kit as well and I hope Serpent is listening. I can see the 960 getting even better.
The coating you speak of on some metal parts is specifically to protect them, Xray doesnt use this coating, but they include a material that absorbs moisture to avoid damage through shipping and whatever problems may arise from handling the kits.

The bit about 50 outsources, i really dont see what you mean, all the materials are the same through with great consistency in the plastic as well as the aluminum materials used in the various upgrades that are included in the kit.

To help explain the front roll bar situation, Not everyone has a trick swaybar tool, but EVERYONE in the pit area has a tuning screwdriver. With this in mind, quick last minute adjustments to the swaybar can be done by ANYONE on the fly. Also with flathead slots on the sides of the roll bar, you can physically see the position which can allow for more accurate swaybar settings from left to right.

As far as quick assembly, At the Winternats this past February, i arrived in Ft Myers, on the first practice day with a practice car and had a kit waiting for me on my pit table, i had the car assembled within hours of arrival and just enough time for a couple practice runs and lunch!

Besides, the shocks are built already..

The manuals have a seperate parts explosion which is nice and handy since visiting your local hobby store, all you need is a 2 page Reference guide with every part number on the car and an exploded view with part numbers listed there.

Hey, buying that snapring tool is a great investment! Although its one job, its one job that may occur more than once! Maintenance on the drivetrain is very important and removal of the rear axle pulley can sometimes be necessary ie. Rock or belt stripping and melting the pulley.

Btw, the new and improved clutch support disk was meant to prevent flyweight ejection, which can occur due to large endplay settings on todays modern centax clutch.

I'm glad you received your kit though, one of the few fortunate ones I hope some of the explainations listed here help with your frustrations on the new kit!