R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Schumacher Corner
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 05:38 AM
Skiddins
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jubilee
Okay, I figured out how to hook this thing up. When I hooked up each new 5Kmah Core lipo (LiPo Balance charge: Auto), charge current went straight to 0.1A and batt voltage started at 7.4 then quickly rose to 7.6-something. Scared the crap outta me. Aren't these packs supposed to be 7.4 maximum?

Wish I could stop by SIR, but we've got out of town guests coming over.

EDIT: After reading the instructions over again, it looks like a final-charged voltage of a 7.4V batt should be "4.2V/cell for the nominal V of 3.7V/cell". What the heck does this mean?

The packs are 8.4V maximum. 4.2V per cell.

The Core 5000 packs are two cells in series (2S) (all connected etc internally so you'll never see them.)
The balance connector has one wire connected to the same place as the positive, the middle wire connects inbetween the two cells, the third wire will go to the negative.
This middle wire allows the balancer to see the difference between the two cells as well as the overall voltage of the pack.

All lipo chargers should maintain maximum charge rate until the pack voltage reaches 8.4V, the charger will then slowly reduce the charge rate so the voltage does not go above 8.4V, this will keep reducing until the pack has finaly finished charging.

This all make sense?

Skiddins